|
The parish church of St Mary's Kilburn was built in 1858, at a time when much of the surrounding area was still mostly fields and farmland. It was built to serve the growing population of Kilburn and South Hampstead. It stands on the site of the old Kilburn Priory, a medieval nunnery that was founded in 1130 and parts of whcih survived into the 17th century. During building of the present church a fragment of tomb brass was found, showing the head of a nun, possibly Emma de St Omer, who was prioress in the reign of Richard II. The brass is now mounted in the North Transcept of the Church.
|